20 May 2009

Youngest Indian Star of Hong Kong 2009....






Santosh S. taking best exhibit award at KARNAPEX


Hi ! Today's Post is not about a new issue but I am writing about a budding philatelist from Bangalore who won a Silver Medal in 23rd Asian International Stamp Exhibition, Hong Kong 2009 which concluded on 17th May 2009. It is Santosh S., the youngest and the only participant from India in youth category. Santosh is a student of class X of Carmel High School, Basaveshwaranagar, Bangalore. He has many awards to his credit. He came with flying colors in all the exhibitions, he participated. He was awarded a Silver medal with best exhibit award in Karnapex 2007. a Large Silver in INPEX 2008 and a Bronze in China 2009. To see his achievement at such a young age, I just can say, he is the future of philately. And of course, Philately is not dying at all but it is growing ... Well, Bangalore is a centre of graet philatelists. Many well known philatelists of India hail from this city . Santosh gives credit of his award to his uncle, Mr. Jagannath Mani, a well known philatelist of Bangalore and an active member of Karnataka Philatelic Society and veteran philatelists Mr. T. N. Prahlad Rao and Mr. Manmohan Singh, . Santosh has been collecting stamps since a very young age and now has prepared a specialized and eye catching collection on Elephants " The Lord of the Jungle". We wish him all the best in his philatelic and academic career. May he get more awards in forthcoming philatelic exhibitions. Santosh can be contacted :santoshselvi@yahoo.co.in

While writing about Santosh and publishing his photo here, it is taking me down memory lane of my own school and college days, I remember Nikhilesh Melkote a lot, my very old friend from Bangalore who also won many international awards as a junior philatelist and later I wrote an article about him in 'The Pioneer' many years ago. I have still that newspaper clipping which I am publishing here. I hope Nikhilesh will be reading it wherever he is posted now....as I have not received mail from him since a long time...... It also reminds me when I myself won a best junior exhibit award in UPHILEX - 84, Lucknow and my co - participants were Dinesh Chandra Sharma, a big name in Olympic Philately today and Atul Agarwal who is a keen philatelist and still continues his love for philately. I still remember that thrilling moment of my life......All three are my very good friends even today though we have grown up and are now busy in our own life....but philately brings us together and we communicate with each other often and they have always encouraged me to continue my work for Rainbow. It also reminds me of my last International medal that I won in Junior Category at MOPHILA - 85, Hamburg, Germany. It is my most precious silver medal as my name is engraved on it.......,,,These are the memories of the days gone by......But nice to be nostalgic about it........as it brings good memories related with philatelic exhibitions......not the bitter ones which often happen with all of us.......and sometimes making one to avoid participation...... But ..Keep the Hobby Alive ! This is the motto of Rainbow Stamp Club.....This post is dedicated to all Stamp Lovers !...This is all for today.........Till Next Post.........Have a Great Time !



Down Memory Lane......








Published in The Pioneer - 6 July 1987

1 comment:

Mansoor Bolar said...

Hello,
Are you speaking about a Nikilesh Melkotewho is from Bangalore, and now working with a Bank in Bangalore ???

Regards
Mansoor.

Related Posts with Thumbnails